- ABOUT ROOKIE RUMBLE -
What is Rookie Rumble?
A fun friendly 3way FS competition for newly qualified skydivers from any Dropzone.
Three flyers per team
Two 'rookies' per team
One coach per team
Forty 'rookie' competitors in total
Each round competitors jump with a different rookie teammate and a different coach. Everyone carries their individual score through the event. The person with the most points is champion. There can be only one.
RookieFest has been a firm favourite at Skydive Chicago ('SDC') for the past decade. 2018 saw approximately 85-90 Rookies competing. Run under the wing of SDC Rhythm XP 4way team it is hugely popular.
SDC were very happy for us to start a UK version but asked us to avoid the same name. Hence... Rookie Rumble. :-)
And in 2019, the very first Rookie Rumble took place at Langar. We capped the event at 20 competitors for the first year and we did so again in 2020 given world events. 2021... we go big.
First place went to the least experienced skydiver taking part Jasmine Manders. Second place, by just one point, went to the most experienced skydiver taking part with 300+ jumps Bejay Cutmore. Third place was achieved by Phil Taylor.
First place went to the most experienced skydiver taking part Claire Holland (135 jumps). Second place by just two points was the second least experienced skydiver Tom Dent (84 jumps). Third place went to the ninth most experienced skydiver Amy Perry.
Literally, anyone can win.
When is Rookie Rumble?
First weekend of Langar Boogie 2. Friday 10th and Saturday 11th September 2021.
Sunday is 'recovery from party' day and a day for fun bigway jumps with new found friends.
In exceptional circumstances Sunday could be a backup day.
Who is Rookie Rumble for?
Rookie competitors can qualify in two ways.
Rookies must have held their A licence for less than two years
have less than 200 jumps..
All competitors MUST have FS1.
To clarify, if you have 600 jumps and you have been qualified less than two years. Good for you! You can compete.
If you have been qualified for 10 years but only have 100 jumps. What have you been doing? But you can compete.
How much does Rookie Rumble cost? TBC
Rookie Rumble 2021 is 6 rounds.
Competitors benefit from free coaching.
Coach wears internal video for judging purposes.
No external video costs to keep the cost down.
Competitors are expected to cover coaches slot and pack jobs. No extra costs.
Total cost per participant: £36 registration fee + 9 jump tickets.
This is worked out from:
6 jumps. Everyone puts in 1.5 tickets per jump to cover the coach slot.
6 coach pack jobs is £30 -> £15 each.
The registration fee includes the packing money for your coaches, the cost of hiring in a judge and a small contingency buffer. This event is not planned to make a profit.
Just bring 9 jump tickets to manifest at the start of the competition.
You can get a discount if you buy 10 jump tickets in a block. And that leaves you one left over for the Load Organising on the Sunday. :-)
How does Rookie Rumble work?
Competitors are ranked by experience level. And each round they jump with a different rookie and a different coach.
Each competitor carries their individual score through the event. The person with the most points is champion. There can be only one.
Judges and lead organiser have complete discretion over the competition and will act fairly. Everyone knows benevolent dictators are best after all. Judges decision final.
Ranking by experience level is based on jump numbers and tunnel time... your first 60mins in the tunnel is equivalent to 90 jumps, after that 1min = 1 jump.
What can I win at Rookie Rumble?
2020 prizes for indication only. 2021 tbc.
30% off any Javelin container, courtesy of Sun Path Products CONFIRMED
50% off G4, courtesy of Cookie Helmets CONFIRMED
xx% off a Cypres AAD, courtesy of Airtec
xx% off a Symbi jumpsuit, courtesy of Symbi Suits.
xx% off Atlas digital alti (audible and/or visual), courtesy of Alti-2 Europe
xx% off x, courtesy of Performance Designs
xx% off a Galaxy Altimeter, courtesy of Alti-2 Europe
Pair of skydiving gloves, courtesy of AirSupply CONFIRMED
38th, 39th & 40th
30mins tunnel (shared 3on1), or 10mins 1on1 each. Time/date TBC. Cost of tunnel time covered by Buzz at Skydive Tilstock,
Free coaching from Brian Cumming. Times and dates will need to work, obviously.
The Luckiest Loser
The Luckiest Loser will win 30% off a Cookie G4 and free registration to the Rainbow Boogie 2022 at Skydive Tilstock. Plus more, maybe even winning your jump tickets back!
This is a knockout Rock/Paper/Scissor ('RPS') competition at the closing ceremony.
You 'win' an entry into RPS by doing one of the following:
i) being on the reserve list and turning up and jumping anyway.
ii) by scoring the lowest on any round.
iii) by being in the bottom part of the competition.
iv) by your team performing the best geek of each round, as decided by the judge.
Bear with us on this, we've only just thought of it but we're super excited to make it work. Some of the criteria may change as we think this through.
I want to take part in Rookie Rumble
Excellent news. Just click one of the buttons to register interest for 2021.
Your slot is confirmed upon
1) completion of the registration form
2) the £36 registration fee being paid.
Note: you'll need the date you qualified for your A licence handy. Approximately. If you don't know it, you can always guess it and update it later.
What about bad weather?
Every good skydiver has a Plan B and we will have a full plan of seminars and activities for bad weather. It's impossible to have this many top coaches on a DZ at the same time and not be able to learn something. This would be one of those days where you learn more on a bad weather day than you would on a good weather day.
We will not postpone the event unless the DZ postpones the tandem program in advance.
We may, however, delay the start time if the forecast is consistently very poor.
What was on offer at Rookie Rumble?
NOTE 2020 PRIZES FOR INFORMATION ONLY. 2021 tbc
Sun Path Products Inc
30% off any Sun Path container
50% off a Cookie G4 helmet
30% off a Cookie G4 helmet
Airtec (CYPRES) Gmbh
xx% off a CYPRES AAD
Plus a small something for everyone. Thank you Airtec!
25% off a Symbi suit
10% off a Symbi suit
Symbi will be attending with a stand and will offer free jumpsuit repairs. Legends.
Why not get yourself measured up for a suit? No obligation to buy.
xx% off Atlas Digital Alti (audible or visual, you choose how you want to use it)
xx% off Galaxy Altimeter
Courtesy of Skydive Tilstock... the winners of 38th, 39th and 40th place win 30mins coached time. 10 mins each 1on1. (or 30mins 3on1).
Free coaching from Brian.
Bedford, Basingstoke, Manchester, Birmingham
(TBC - times and dates to align with coach availability)
1st place $100 voucher
2nd place $50 voucher
3rd place $50 voucher
Also, gloves and tshirts available.
Langar is blessed with top FS coaches. 2021 line up to be finalised. If you want to be a coach, drop Brian a line.
Liz Matthews - confirmed
400way World Record holder.
4wayFS Women's World Champion.
British National Champion in 4wayFS and 8wayFS. Holds UK record for highest competition average by a women's team. A very modest legend. (Saturday only)
Kate Lindsley - confirmed
British National 4 & 8 way Champion.
World Cup/Championships 4 way (indoor & outdoor) 1 gold, 3 silver , 2 bronze. Likes arty profile pictures. (Friday only)
Sarah Ashworth - confirmed
British National Silver Medallist. Represented UK at World Cup 2019. Qualified to representing the UK at World Championships in Siberia in 2021 (but COVID) and also at the Indoor Skydiving Championships.
Martin Soulsby - confirmed
15x 8wayFS British National Champion
BPA Chair 2010-2019
Passionate about bringing on new skydivers. Some other stuff. Oh yeah, being sent to Siberia to represent the UK* at the 8way World Championships in 2021 (but COVID).
Photo by Rob Lloyd
*either 8wayFS or for talking too much. He's world class at both.
Laura Hampton - confirmed
British National Silver Medallist. Represented UK at World Cup 2019. Was supposed to be representing the UK at World Championships in Siberia in 2021 and also at the Indoor Skydiving Championships.
Emily Aucutt - confirmed
BPA Instructor of the Year 2019
Smiley FS ninja. Medal winning AA 4wayFS competitor. Womens large formation FS World Record Holder. BPA AFF Instructor. (Friday only)
Photo by Bogdan Pistea
Phil Curtis - confirmed
11k jumps, 5x 8way National Champion, 4x Large Formation World Record holder, 16way World Cup medallist, 4way National Medallist. Likes Martin Soulsby telling him what to do.
Photo by Amy Harrison
Brian Cumming - confirmed
Some dude. Did some stuff once. Maybe twice. Whoa.
Photo by Paul Rimmington
Hayley Jones - (tbc)
Symbi Suits Managing Director
AA 4way medal winner. Runs Symbi Suits. Get yourself measured up for a new suit or get your current suit (any manufacturer) repaired for free. Talks quickly. Flies quicker.
Photo by Rob Lloyd
Jodie-Leigh Foster - (tbc)
Pajama Pumas AAA
Went to World Cup in 2019 representing the UK. Regular FS coach at Langar. Terrible taste in boys.
Matt Cumming - confirmed
Pyjama Pumas AAA
Tries to keep up with his gf. Manages sometimes. Bit unhappy with his write up on this website.
Jordan Simcoe - confirmed
Regular FS coach. Bit of a ninja. Bought all the other coaches beer as a bribe to be able to take part in 2020. Well, actually, he signed up as Rookie by mistake and Brian confiscated the registration fee. ;-)
Cath Leather - confirmed
Represented UK at World Cup 2017, Indoor World Cup 2018 and was selected for Indoor World Cup 2020 but Covid. 4-Way Obsessed and Coaching is her passion. Many skydivers look up to her as a role model.
Martin Score - confirmed
18+ years as an FS Coach. 4,000+ jumps. FS 4-way, 8-way, 8-way speed and 16-way medal winner. Represented UK at World Cup in 2005.
Who's competing at Rookie Rumble 2021?
The event is currently full but with Covid19 looming over every event please do sign up for the reserve list.
Name, Date of A Licence, jumps, tunnel hours, home DZ
1) Andy Orszynski, Aug 20, 64 jumps, 0.75hrs, Langar
2) Cressida Brookes, Aug 2019, 137, 1.5, Hinton
3) Wantao Tang, May 2019, 126, 1, Langar
4) Daniel Staples, June 2019, 158, 0.5, Langar
5) Katy Mallaband, Oct 2020, 40, 0.5, Langar
6) Jon Witte, Oct 2020, 59 jumps, 2hrs, Beccles
7) Dmitry Shkurin, Sept 2019, 135, Headcorn
8) Moray Grieve, April 2021, 50, 1, Beccles
9) Paul Flood, June 2019, 129, 4, Langar
10) Siddharth Chopde, April 2021, 70, 4, Langar
11) Emily Hetfield, May 2019, 133, 7, Sibson
12) Aysha Bhimji, July 2019, 139, 7, Sibson/Headcorn
13) Robby Smith, Dec 2019, 126, 0, Wild Geese
14) Holly Voysey, Nov 2020, 48, 0, Sibson
15) Larysa Osadcha, Feb 2019, 120, 8, Hinton
16) Peter Cordy, April 2020, 80, 5, Nethers/Dunks
17) Lee Clift, May 2001, 91, 2, Headcorn
18) Paul Morgan, May 2021, 55, 0.5, Cark
19) Max Samuel, Oct 2019, 115, 3, Dunks
20) Lisa Ball, May 2019, 123, 5, Tilstock
21) Mohammed-Amine Chelfouh, Dec 2020, 152, 5, Langar
22) Sophie Cook, June 2021, 51, 0, Tilstock, (not got FS1 yet)
23) Marta Hovan, Oct 2018, 178, 1.5, Tilstock
24) Zoltan Borbas, April 2019, 125, 2, Tilstock
25) Shay Tarbit, March 2021, 35, 0, Langar, (not got FS1 yet)
26) Rachael Hutchinson, Sept 2018, 112, 4, Nethers
27) Nicholas Geere, March 2020, 62, 0, Langar
28) Daniel Walker, Dec 2017, 96, 10 Hinton
29) Nigel Bailey, Dec 2017, 125, 60, Black Knights
30) Michael Benson, May 2019, 100, 0.5, Headcorn
31) Frantisek Bolek, July 2019, 143, 3, Redlands
32) Adam Lockwood, Aug 2016, 119, 0, Hinton
33) Ryan Lovett, June 2019, 75, 0, Langar
34) Joe Connolly, April 2021, 44, 3, Headcorn, (not got FS1 yet)
35) Harry Handley, Oct 2015, 156, 2, Cark
36) Tomasz Januszkiewicz, May 2021, 43, 0.3, Dunks
37) Chlöe Lintott, Sept 2020, 50, 0.33, Dunks
38) Anastasia Solonitsyna, Jan 2020, 100, 5, Langar
39) Michal Dacko, April 2021, 47, 0.3, Langar
40) Spencer Taylor-Brown, June 2020, 49, 2, Cark
*If anyone registered above, who has been qualified for more than 2 years, racks up more than 200 jumps before the competition, then they become eligible to compete in the 'Open' category. Jumpers in the 'Open' category are eligible for the 'luckiest loser' competition but no other prizes
The 'Open' category is for people who are not Rookies, or who are Rookies but are on the reserve list. We can help you put a 3way team together at manifest on the day and join us freefall and all the ground stuff.
If you're a Rookie in the Open category, you will be entered into the 'luckiest loser' competition.
Reserve list... any reserves who turn up for Day1 of Rookie Rumble will be automatically entered into the 'Luckiest Loser' competition. You could win 30% discount off a Cookie G4 and free registration to Skydive Tilstock Rainbow Boogie 2022
0) Nino, Sept 2020, 146, 5, Langar
1) Christabel Gordon, July 2021, 40, 0.1, Langar
2) Jonno Simister, June 2017, 130, 6, Langar
3) Lucy Smith, Dec 2019, 133, 10, Headcorn
4) Hamish Roberton, April 2019, 62, 2, Hinton, (not got FS1 yet)
5) Jamie Hewitt
Who competed at Rookie Rumble 2020?
First come, first served. This event filled up way quicker than we expected. We ran a reserve list in case of last minute drop outs.
1) Mike Bull, July 2018, 168 jumps, Langar (also competed in 2019)
2) Angel FernandeZ, June 2018, 81 jumps, Langar
3a) Emily Napier (Friday), Feb 2019, 50 jumps, Langar
3b) Jack Bishop (Saturday), Jan 2019, 60 jumps, Langar
4) Daniel Staples, July 2019, 81 jumps, Langar
5) Paul Flood, June 2019, 75 jumps, Netheravon
6) Ruth, Dec 2018, 103 jumps, Hinton
7) Suzie Whitehurst, April 2019, 140 jumps, Tilstock
8) Giles Moon, Aug 2018, 70 jumps, Netheravon/Langar
9) Julie Murray, April 2019, 99 jumps, Tilstock
10) Elisha Zeiss, Jul 2019, 69 jumps, Langar
11) Max Samuel, Oct 2019, 75 jumps, GoSkydive
12) Katie Balmer, Aug 2018, 154 jumps, Hibaldstow
13) Amy Perry, Aug 2018, 124 jumps, Chatteris
14) Tom Dent, Feb 2017, 84, Langar (2nd place)
15) Bradley Shelton, Sept 2019, 107 jumps, Hibaldstow
16) Leonie Stromich, Aug 2018, 62 jumps, Langar
17) Claire Holland, July 2019, 135 jumps, Hinton (1st place)
18) Lucy Smith, Dec 2018, 67 jumps, Headcorn
19) Frantisek Bolek, July 2019, 99 jumps, Redlands/homeless :-(
20) Jon Simister, Aug 2017, 73 jumps, Langar
*If anyone registered above, who has been qualified for more than 2 years, racks up more than 200 jumps before the competition, then they become eligible to compete in the 'Open' category. Jumpers in the 'Open' category are not eligible for the prizes. The next reserve will be called up to participate in the competition.
The 'Open' category is for people who are not Rookies or are Rookies but aren't in the competition. Please feel free to put a 3way team together at manifest on the day and join us in jumping the competition dives. Only Rookies can win prizes.
Reserve list - if we can fill 10 more spots... we can expand the competition. We have enough coaches and 3 planes available. It'd be rude not to.
21) Sophie Fretwell, June 2019, 65 jumps, Langar
22) Nick Williams, April 1992, 171 jumps, Headcorn (I feel like there is a story here)
23) Anastasiia Solonitsyna, Jan 2020, 90 jumps, Langar
24) Edgar Lisboa, March 2019, 105 jumps, Hib